An growing list of recommended Social Media Resources for personal and business use. For books, I've tried to link to their website, which often includes free previews and resources, so you can get these samples (I don't receive any compensation from these authors, books or publications, these are just some of the great resources I've discovered).
What's missing? Share your favorite resources in the comments below.
BOOKS & PRINT
Carson, Nancy. "Passionate, Creative Thinker Seeks Job: How To Fix A Personal Brand That's A Total Cliché." FastCompany.com. 21 Feb. 2013.
Elad, Joel. LinkedIn for Dummies. 2008.
Evans, Dave and Susan Bratton. Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day. 2008.
Gillette, Felix. "Snapchat and the Erasable Future of Social Media." Bloomberg BusinessWeek.com. 7 Feb 2013.
Handley, Ann and C.C. Chapman. Content Rules: Hot to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) that Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business. 2011.
Hartley, Darin. 10 Steps to Successful Social Networking for Business. 2010.
Kelly, Ed and Brad Fay. The Face-to-Face Book: Why Relationships Rule in a Digital Marketplace. 2012.
Li, Charlene and Josh Bernoff. Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies. 2008.
Polin, Ilya. Social Media Etiquette: 12 Step Checklist. 31 Jan. 2013.
Qualman, Erik. Socialnomics: How social media transforms the way we live and do business. 2009.
Safko, Lon and David K. Brake. The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools and Strategies for Business Success. 2009.
Schaffer, Neal. "17 Must-Haves for Your LinkedIn Profile. [Infographic]." 2013.
Singh, Shiv. Social Media Marketing for Dummies. 2009.
Vascellaro, Jessica E. “Why Email No Longer Rules…and what that means for the way we communicate.” The Wall Street Journal, R1-R3, 12 Oct. 2009.
ONLINE ARTICLES & VIDEOS
1,000 True Fans. Kelly, Kevin. <http://kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2008/03/1000_true_fans.php>
7 Ways to Attract Recruiters to Your LinkedIn Profile. Shahid Wazed. https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140512123345-49246280-7-ways-to-attract-recruiters-to-your-linkedin-profile. 12 May 2014.
- 10 Privacy Settings Every Facebook User Should Now. http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-privacy-new-2009-12
- Tufekci, Seynep."Social Media's Small, Positive Role in Human Relationships." http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/04/social-medias-small-positive-role-in-human-relationships/256346/ 25 Apr 2012.
- Cohen, Heidi. "Where Is the Future of Social Media Marketing? www.Clickz.com 16 Apr 2012. <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2167776/future-social-media-marketing-research>
- Fou, Augustine. “How to Do Social Marketing in Heavily Regulated Industries.” www.Clickz.com 22 Oct. 2009. < http://www.clickz.com/3635397>
- Neifield, Robin. "Why Bother with Google+?." www.Clickz.com 18 Apr 2012. <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2168044/bother-google>
Compfight.com -Creative Commons Royalty-free images
- Nichols, Jeni. "Social Media and Leadership Development." http://www.leadershipchallenge.com/Leaders-Section-Articles-Stories-Detail/social-media-and-leadership-development.aspx
Mashable.com: The Social Media Guide
- Divol, Roxane, David Edelman and and Hugo Sarrazin. "Demystifying Social Media." http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Demystifying_social_media_2958 April 2012.
- Turkle, Sherry. "The Flight from Conversation." http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/opinion/sunday/the-flight-from-conversation.html?_r=0 21 Apr 2012.
- Dolor, Solon Harmony. "Tips for a Successful Social Media Campaign on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn [Infographic]." http://socialbarrel.com/tips-for-successful-a-social-media-campaign-on-facebook-twitter-and-linkedin-infographic/51845/ 9 Jun 2013.
Scobleizer.com- Searching for World-changing Technology
Slideshare.net - Upload and share PowerPoint presentations, Word and PDF Documents
- Handley, Ann.“Three Social Media F Words and 5 Companies That Use Them.” http://www.slideshare.net/AnnHandley/three-social-media-f-words-and-five-companies-that-use-them-4089259?from=share_email. 2009
TED.com - Ideas Worth Spreading
- "Ze Frank's Web Playroom" Lecture by Ze Frank on how the internet can create community. TEDGlobal 2012. <http://www.ted.com/talks/ze_frank_s_web_playroom.html>
- Citroen, Lida. "Social Media Transparency: You are what you post." http://unleashingyourbrand.com/social-media-transparency-you-are-what-you-post/ 1 Aug 2013.
The Wall Street Journal
- Samuel, Alexandra. "Your Employee is an Online Celebrity. Now What Do You Do?" http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443995604578003082273743230.html. October 29, 2012.
“The Serendipity Machine” Lecture by Chris Brogan on why Twitter is useful for some businesses at the Web 2.0 Expo NY 2009. 19 Nov 2009.