As marketers, we often focus on our products and the organizations needs, and overlook our own personal brand or marketing. Products and jobs come and go -- and it's our responsibility to manage our own careers.
As the year comes to a close, here are a few quick tips for refocusing on your own self promotion:
- Schedule 30 minutes each quarter to review your social media profiles. Update with success stories, new projects and new responsibilities.
- Marketing has changed in the past decade. Are you up-to-speed on industry trends? What resources should you seek more insights from? MarketingProfs? CMO.com? SmartBrief on Marketing? What resources no longer provide value?
- Consider yourself a product to be marketed. Do you need to write a marketing plan for yourself? Do you need to use a SWOT analysis to determine your areas of best focus for the year ahead? What are your features...and more importantly: what are your benefits?
- Ask yourself hard questions. A mentor of mine wrote these 29 hard questions that are worth answering.
- Identify one thing -- just one -- that you'll do more of in the coming year to make yourself even more valuable.